Are a a mission-driven company. Our mission at Erstwhile Mezcal: help small, independent, family-operated producers go global and reach international consumers for the first time.
Erstwhile is a boutique importer of agave spirits based in Brooklyn, New York. We are a young but fast-growing company, with distribution, sales and loyal fans in 13 states. This year, we are launching in more US states and actively expanding to international markets.
We love to see our team members grow personally and professionally. We are seeking a talented full-time sales representative, responsible for finding qualified new leads and supporting our existing retail customers. This role focuses on the NYC metro area to start, and may expand to include other geographic markets in the future.
OUR CORE VALUES
Autonomy for and fair trade with partner producers are among our core values.
We pride ourselves in paying producers fairly. We do not ask them for exclusivity or discounts.
We seek out small producers who are interested in exporting out of Mexico, but do not have the means to do so on their own. We believe in empowering producers to own as much of their export process as possible, be it using their own bottling facility or hiring their own workers. We step in if and only if they want our help.
We believe in sharing, not hoarding, knowledge. We focus on Mezcal education, knowing it empowers consumers to be confident, better-informed decision makers.
Erstwhile is a woman-owned, women-led business. We are also a minority-owned business. Our founders are multicultural and multilingual. We thrive on diversity. We are outspoken about elevating women in the mezcal / wine & spirits industry.
Our mission, business model and mezcal portfolio have been featured in Forbes, Wine Enthusiast and Heritage Radio Network among other media outlets.
Believe in Erstwhile’s mission and share our core values. You are excited to join us at the ground level, stand on the solid foundation we already have, and build something amazing together.
You are good at sales to retail customers (ideally in wine & spirits). You are genuinely curious about people. You observe and listen to others carefully.
You have a proven record of finding new qualified leads, converting leads into customers, and nurturing relationships with existing retail customers.
- Passionate about mezcal, food, and / or craft wine & spirits.
- Intellectually curious. Someone who loves to learn.
- Comfortable with technology. Not afraid of numbers, data, and Excel spreadsheets.
- Capable of managing and keeping track of detailed data on many customers, via a CRM and/or other system.
- Disciplined. Good at setting and accomplishing goals.
- Ambitious. Self-motivated. Go-getter.
- Kind. Outgoing. Confident. Optimistic.
- Happy to see others succeed. Happy to build new relationships, and enrich the lives of others.
- Not a yes-(wo)man. Willing to disagree and speak up if necessary.
- Not easily intimidated. Not afraid to talk to strangers and cold-call people.
- An excellent communicator. Professional. Clear. Grammatical and typo-free.
- Fast to respond via email, text, and phone.
- Honest. Accurate. Accountable for your words and actions.
- Consistent at follow-ups.
- Fluent speaker of English and Spanish.
- Able to work evenings / weekends as needed.
YOUR MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES
- Open new retail accounts
- Research and identify qualified new retail leads (e.g., stores, bars, restaurants)
- Reach out to identified accounts to set up an appointment with the decision maker(s) in charge
- Educate and taste decision makers on Erstwhile’s values, producers and mezcal portfolio
- Support and deepen relationships with existing retail customers
- Regular follow-ups to check on inventory depletion, and proactively offer support
- Lead staff trainings and in-store tastings for retail customers
- Lead and participate in events collaborative projects in partnership with retail customers
- Represent our company at trade events and promotional events
HOW TO APPLY
Email firstname.lastname@example.org your resume, cover letter and any supporting documents.
Be yourself. Tell us your story. Share your hopes, dreams and vision for your future. Captivate us. Show us why you want to join the Erstwhile team, and are the best person to fill this role. Make it irresistible.
Use the following format for your subject heading: “[YOUR NAME] – Mezcal Sales Representative”.